Top Ten Tips To Keep Your Home Secure
Home security is a rapidly growing industry. It’s not that complicated to figure out why it’s growing so fast. Even with the average value of a home dropping significantly in the last few years it is still over $200,000, which makes it the most valuable asset that anybody has. So many people have come to the conclusion that maybe, just maybe, they should protect their home from burglary and home invasion.
All you have to do is look at the police statistics that will tell you one out of six homes, on average, will be burglarized. Home burglary happens every 15 seconds. It is one of the few crimes in the United States that is on the increase when most are declining.
Many desperate people are looking for an easy solution to economic challenges or money for a drug habit and home burglary can provide that. The risks of getting caught are low. And if you are caught, at worst you get a slap on the wrist.
The other reason is that homeowners really make it very easy to do. Sixty percent of all home burglaries happen through doors or windows that are not secured so all the burglar has to do is just walk right in.
Here are some home security tips to help you keep your home safe and secure and protect your family. Follow these tips for home security and you will be less likely to be a target for home burglary.
- Lock all doors and windows even when you’re at home.
- Lower-level doors and windows should be kept clear of foliage to eliminate hiding places.
- Start or join a “neighborhood watch” program. It is extremely effective and it’s free.
- Keep your garage door closed with your personal possessions and your car inside not out in the driveway.
- Use your peephole. If you don’t have one get one.
- Put a sign in your front yard warning of a dog or a security company. It’s amazing that burglars see this kind of stuff and stay away.
- Spend some money on a fake security camera or two. Security cameras send a message to burglars to stay away or get caught.
- The sound of a barking dog is one of the most highly effective deterrents to home burglary. If you don’t have a dog, you can get a motion activated alarm that sounds like a barking dog.
- Time, lights and noise are the three biggest enemies of the burglar. Keep your home well lit. Make it difficult for him to get in so it takes up his time. If he does get in, use a window or door alarm to create some noise. These guys don’t want to get caught.
- Keep some self-defense products in the house in case you are the victim of a home invasion. defensive pepper sprays are effective and very inexpensive. We have 187 of them to choose from.
Follow these tips for home security and you will be less likely to be a target for burglary.