Top 20 Most Dangerous Cities in America
You don’t have to reside in one of the most dangerous cities in the US to care about keeping your home fortified, but it’s good to know if your city warrants upgraded security. 24/7 Wall St. looked at the crime rates in US cities and came up with a list of the 20 most dangerous cities.
20. Minneapolis, MN. This Twin City is full of theatre, major corporate headquarters, and tons of great food. It also ranks on the list because there are about 1,100 violent crimes for every 100,000 residents.
19. New Orleans, LA. New Orleans is rich in history and the annual Mardi Gras celebrations can’t be rivaled. The city also has an unfortunately high homicide rate, at 157 total for 2017.
18. Lansing, MI. The capital city of Michigan had a high unemployment rate at the end of 2017: 6.3%. That may contribute to its high crime rate.
17. Nashville, TN. Many people flock to Nashville for the music and the BBQ. This charming southern city also has a poverty rate of 18% and its share of crime.
16. Anchorage, AK. This chilly northern city has a lower poverty rate than many other cities on the list: only 8%. Still, the area has a lot of unemployment and about 1,200 violent crimes for every 100,000 people.
15. San Bernardino, CA. San Bernardino lacks a lot of opportunities due to its inland position in Southern California. While homes may have room to spread out, the city also has high poverty and unemployment rates which lead to crime.
14. Oakland, CA. The Bay Area is dripping in tourist attractions and professional sports. Still, Oakland has about 70 murders a year and nearly 1,300 violent crimes/100,000 people.
13. Indianapolis, IN. The Motor Speedway brings a lot of people to the capital of Indiana each year. Unfortunately, the Midwest city also has more than 150 murders each year.
12. Springfield, MO. Springfield has a low murder rate, but it still has its share of violent crimes. The poverty rate here is almost 26%.
11. Albuquerque, NM. Some time in the arid desert of New Mexico can clear the mind and soothe the soul. However, this popular New Mexico city also has about 1,400 violent crimes/100,000 people every year.
10. Stockton, CA. Stockton is just about an hour south of Sacramento, but it has a surprisingly high unemployment rate at 8%. Though there is plenty of suburban sprawl here, the violent crime rate is also quite high.
9. Cleveland, OH. Cleveland is home to more than the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. The city also has a poverty rate of 36%, which may contribute to the high crime rate.
8. Rockford, IL. The museums in Rockford are quite popular, but the crime rate in this northern Illinois town is less appealing. There are almost 1,600 violent crimes/100,000 residents.
7. Milwaukee, WI. If you love beer, chances are good you’ll enjoy Milwaukee. Yet the city has a high poverty rate and had about 120 murders in 2017.
6. Little Rock, AR. This heartland city had 1,634 violent crimes/100,000 residents in 2017 according to the FBI.
5. Kansas City, MO. Kansas City is a proud purveyor of good food and hometown sports. It ranks on the list of most dangerous cities, however, because it has a high crime rate despite relatively low unemployment.
4. Memphis, TN. Your favorite city for country music and blue also has about 2,000 violent offenses each year per 100,000 residents.
3. Baltimore, MD. Baltimore is a beautiful city, but it also had more than 300 homicides in 2017.
2. Detroit, MI. Motor City is famous for lots of things, not the least of which is its car production. Unfortunately, a poverty rate of more than 39% drives a lot of crime.
1. St. Louis, MO. The city with the silver arch also has nearly 2,100 violent crimes each year per 100,000 people.
Whether or not you live in one of the most dangerous cities in the USA, now is a good time to look into self-defense weapons for sale and best home security products from The Home Security Superstore. Contact us today if you still have questions.