Top 20 Most Dangerous Cities in America
You don’t have to reside in one of the most dangerous cities in the US to care about keeping your home fortified, but it’s good to know if your city warrants upgraded security. Based on information from the FBI’s 2017 Uniform Crime Report, 24/7 Wall St. reviewed violent crime rates in major US cities. This info has been used to compile our list of the 20 most dangerous cities in the United States.
20. Minneapolis, MN. One of the Twin Cities, Minneapolis is full of theaters, corporate headquarters, and plenty of great food. It’s also the 20th most dangerous city in the US with roughly 1,100 violent crimes for every 100,000 residents.
19. New Orleans, LA. New Orleans is rich in history and its annual Mardi Gras celebration can’t be rivaled. Unfortunately, the city also has a high crime rate with 157 homicides in 2017 along with other violent crimes.
18. Lansing, MI. The capital of Michigan has a relatively high unemployment rate of 6.3%, which might contribute to its high crime rate. Domestic violence and mental illness are also major factors that contribute to this high crime rate.
17. Nashville, TN. Many people visit Nashville for its incredible music and delicious BBQ. Unfortunately, this charming southern city has a poverty rate of 18% and its fair share of violent crimes.
16. Anchorage, AK. This chilly northern city has a lower poverty rate than many other cities on the list: only 8%. Still, the area has a lot of unemployment and about 1,200 violent crimes for every 100,000 people.
15. San Bernardino, CA. San Bernardino lacks a lot of opportunities due to its inland position in Southern California. While homes may have room to spread out, the city also has high poverty and unemployment rates which lead to crime.
14. Oakland, CA. The Bay Area is dripping in tourist attractions and professional sports. Still, Oakland has about 70 murders a year and nearly 1,300 violent crimes/100,000 people.
13. Indianapolis, IN. The Motor Speedway brings a lot of people to the capital of Indiana each year. Unfortunately, the Midwest city also has more than 150 murders each year.
12. Springfield, MO. While Springfield has a relatively low murder rate compared to the other cities on this list, it still has its fair share of violent crimes making it the 12th most dangerous city in the United States.
11. Albuquerque, NM. Some time in the arid desert of New Mexico can clear the mind and soothe the soul. However, this popular New Mexico city also has about 1,400 violent crimes/100,000 people every year.
10. Stockton, CA. Stockton is just about an hour south of Sacramento, but it has a surprisingly high unemployment rate at 8%. Though there is plenty of suburban sprawl here, the violent crime rate is also quite high.
9. Cleveland, OH. While it may be home to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Cleveland suffers from a high poverty rate of 36%. This fact could contribute to the nearly 6,000 violent crimes committed there in 2017.
8. Rockford, IL. The museums in Rockford are quite popular, but the crime rate in this northern Illinois town is less appealing. There are almost 1,600 violent crimes/100,000 residents.
7. Milwaukee, WI. As the largest city in Wisconsin, Milwaukee is home to several universities and Fortune 500 companies. However, it’s also the 7th most dangerous city in America with a high poverty rate and nearly 120 murders in 2017.
6. Little Rock, AR. With one of the highest violent crime rates in the country, Little Rock also suffers from high property crime rates with the fifth highest rate in the United States.
5. Kansas City, MO. Kansas City is a proud purveyor of good food and hometown sports. It ranks on the list of most dangerous cities, however, because it has a high crime rate despite relatively low unemployment.
4. Memphis, TN. The home of Elvis and the blues of Beale Street, Memphis also has more than 2,000 violent crimes per 100,000 residents with a total of 653,000 violent crimes in 2017.
3. Baltimore, MD. Not only is Baltimore the 3rd most dangerous city in the US, it also has more robberies than any other city with 959 robberies per 100,000 people.
2. Detroit, MI. Motor City is famous for lots of things, not the least of which is its car production. Unfortunately, a poverty rate of more than 39% drives a lot of crime.
1. St. Louis, MO. The most dangerous city in America, St Louis has the highest murder rate in the country. The city reported 2,082 violent crimes per every 100,000 people.
Protect Yourself With Products from The Home Security Superstore
Living in one of the most dangerous cities in the US can be scary, but even if you don't, The Home Security Superstore is here to help. We're the leading provider of reliable and top quality home security supplies that can give you and your loved ones peace of mind. Our wide selection of products not only guard your security, but also provide solutions for emergency preparedness. Emergency radios from The Home Security Superstore can keep you informed during times of crisis with NOAA weather alerts pulled from local data tailored to your area! No matter where you live, stay safe with reliable alarm systems and other modern solutions from The Home Security Superstore!