Home Security – Top Five Reasons For The High Number Of Home Invasions In The United States
“According to FBI statistics a home burglary happens every 15 seconds in the United States.” Why does it happen so often? Why is it so popular? There are five reasons, some of which you may not have thought about; but we will discuss all of them in this article.
1. Homeowners make it easy. Most burglaries happen through unsecured windows and doors. So technically speaking the burglar does not even have to break into the house. They can just walk in. Most homeowners don’t take home security very seriously and burglars know it. Additionally, homeowners provide hiding places for burglars around their homes. Of course they do this inadvertently but they are there nonetheless. So if homeowners were serious about their security, they would take a critical look at their homes first.
2. No skill is required. I mean let’s be honest, to be a burglar requires no particular skill set. 95% of all burglars are doing it for the first or maybe second time. Only 5% of burglars are what we would call professional. When amateur burglars hear about how easy it is to break into a home it encourages them to strike out on their own.
3. It’s a very lucrative “business.” The average value of goods stolen in a home burglary as of two years ago was around $2500. If a burglar plans his targets well, he can hit three or four homes in a morning and fence them by dinnertime. If a burglar only gets ten cents on a dollar through fencing, he can make $750 to $1,000 for a morning’s work.
4. Little risk of discovery. According to police statistics, less than 5% of all home burglars ever get caught so there’s very little risk of discovery. And the fact of the matter is most homes have no alarms of any kind to alert neighbors. Burglars only spend five to ten minutes at the most it any one home because they don’t want to get caught.
5. Little to no consequences if caught. If a burglar is unlucky enough to get caught, the penalties for a first-time offender are almost laughable. The bad guy has little concern even if he is caught.
Let’s review for home burglary. It’s easy to get into a house; it’s a lucrative “business”; it’s easy to do with no special skill required; there is little to no risk of discovery and the consequences, if you are discovered, are slim. Is it any wonder why home burglary is so popular.
The Electronic Barking Dog is one of the most effective home alarms available. It sounds like a barking dog when the protected are is violated.
Window/Door Alarms are an inexpensive way to protect your home.
Our BLOG is updated every week and serves as a wealth of information covering tips and info you can use with over 500 posts. Check it out to see what you might be missing.
The Home Security Superstore is one of the oldest and largest independent distributors of high quality home security, surveillance, spy, self-defense, survival and safety products.