Home Security – Effective Burglary Prevention Tips for Homes
The FBI has a uniform crime reporting program that issues an annual report on different classifications of crime. They report that burglary is an “unlawful entry of a structure to commit a felony or theft” and there are three sub-classifications under this general definition. The first is forcible entry then unlawful entry where no force was used and attempted forcible entry.
According to the summary of that report, residential property burglaries accounted for almost 73% of all burglary reported with an average dollar loss per burglary of $2096. In 2009, 61% of all home burglaries involved forcible entry and 33% where no force was used.
So one-third of all home burglaries happen through unsecured doors and windows-the bad guys just walk or crawl in: amazing!
As far as home burglary is concerned here is a short list of do’s and don’ts. If you follow them you will be way ahead of the game. Burglary prevention is not that hard or expensive.
1. First on the list seems rather obvious: lock your doors and windows even when you’re at home. Most burglars are first or second time offenders and may become frustrated and discouraged by a locked door or window. It is a more severe crime if they have to force their way in and they may not know much, but they probably at least know that.
2. Take advantage of free services such as “Neighborhood Watch.”
3. And knowing that the vast majority of burglars are rookies, so to speak, if an alarm that sounds when they open a door or window, it may really spook them. So third on the “do list” is to get some inexpensive, loud window and/or door alarms for all possible entryways.
4. Don’t provide potential hiding places around your lower level windows and doors. Remove or trim back shrubs that provide hiding places for the bad guys.
5. A sign in your front yard that warns of a vicious guard dog provides adequate warning to a potential burglar. You don’t even have to have a dog-just a sign will do it. Or even better yet, there’s a home security alarm that sounds like a barking dog when the protected area is violated.
You don’t have to spend a lot of money or put in a lot of effort to protect your home from the vast majority of home burglars. You don’t want to become a statistic. Chances are if you don’t do these things, you may become a victim to a home burglary.
The Electronic Watchdog Alarm is one of the most effective home burglar alarms available. It sounds like a barking dog when the protected area is violated.
We have a great selection of 14 different Window/Door Alarms to choose from. All of them can protect your home but one of them will be just right for your situation.
The Home Security Superstore is one of the oldest and largest independent distributors of high-quality home security, surveillance, spy, self-defense, survival and safety products.
Leave a comment