Ten Tips for Home Security
Home security is a rapidly growing industry. It’s not that complicated to figure out why it’s growing so rapidly. Even with the average value of a home dropping significantly in the last few years it is still over $200,000, which makes it the most valuable asset that anybody has. So many people have come to the conclusion that maybe, just maybe, they should protect their home from burglary and home invasion.
All you have to do is look at the police statistics that will tell you one out of six homes, on average, will be burglarized. Home burglary happens every 15 seconds. It is one of the few crimes in the United States that is on the increase when most are declining.
There are two reasons I think for the increase. First the economy is so bad with so many people out of work that many desperate people are looking for an easy solution and home burglary can provide that. The risks are low of getting caught. And if you are caught, at worst you get a slap on the wrist.
The other reason is that homeowners really make it very easy to do. Sixty percent of all home burglaries happen through unlocked doors and windows. So all the burglar has to do is just walk right in.
Here are some home security tips to help you keep your home safe and secure and protect your family. Follow these tips for home security and you will be less likely to be a target for home burglary.
1. Lock all doors and windows even when you’re at home.
2. Remove trees and shrubs around lower-level doors and windows eliminating potential hiding places.
3. Start or join a “neighborhood watch” program. It is extremely effective and it’s free.
4. Keep your garage door closed with your personal possessions and your car inside not out in the driveway.
5. Use your peephole. If you don’t have one get one.
6. Consider getting a sign for your front yard warning of a vicious guard dog or a security company. It’s amazing that burglars see this kind of stuff and stay away.
7. Spend some money on a Security Camera with remote. You can get a good one for less than $150.00. Isn’t your home worth $150.00? Security cameras send a message to burglars to stay away or get caught.
8. The sound of a barking dog is one of the most highly effective deterrents to home burglary. If you don’t have a dog, you can get an alarm that sounds like a barking dog.
9. Time, lights and noise are the three biggest enemies of the burglar. Keep your home well lit. Make it difficult for him to get in so it takes up his time. If he does get in use a window or door alarm to create some noise. These guys don’t want to get caught.
10. Keep some self-defense products in the house in case you are the victim of a home invasion.
Follow these tips for home security and you will be less likely to be a target for home burglary.
The Home Security Superstore is one of the oldest and largest independent distributors of high quality Home Security Cameras, surveillance, spy, self-defense, survival and safety products. We carry a wide range of self-defense products including tasers, stun guns, pepper sprays, and other non-lethal weapons that can save your life in the event of an attack
Our vast network of product sourcing, both stateside and abroad, saves you and your family time and money and insures you the lowest possible prices available in the marketplace.
Please check out our new BLOG with a link on our homepage. It has valuable information designed to keep you and your family safe including the “Safety Tip Of The Week.”