What To Look For In A Nonlethal Stun Device
Even though stun guns are not legal in all of the United States, they are still the second most popular self-defense product. Because of this, there are literally hundreds of manufacturers worldwide and each one of them has several models to choose from. Which makes looking for a good stun device for yourself very difficult-so difficult it can be confusing.
Stun guns are handheld nonlethal self-defense products that are battery-operated and have two or more probes on one end of the device. The power comes fromthe batteries which are usually rechargeable but not always. When the stun device is activated, the electrical current flies back and forth between the probes making a very intimidating sound. There is also a quite intimidating look with the sparks flying around.
So here are some tips on what to look for in a nonlethal stun device.
- First of all make sure that they are legal in your area. You can go online and check or go to your local law enforcement office and check with them.
- Look for a stun device that is rechargeable. This will save you money on batteries. Rechargeable stun guns usually have an indicator that indicates that it needs recharging-a very handy feature. Regular battery-operated stun devices are almost extinct.
- Most stun guns are bought by women for their personal safety and self-defense. So color may be a consideration. Almost all manufacturers these days have pink as a color choice-a favorite for women.
- The power of a stun gun is the most important feature. Our recommendation has always been to get the most powerful stun gun you can afford. It used to be in the 1,000,000 V stun device was about as powerful as they came. Nowadays it is not uncommon to see stun devices of 10,000,000 volts on up to as high as 20,000,000 volts.
- The size of a stun gun is an important consideration for the purchaser. A woman wants a powerful stun gun as small as you can find. The smallest one that we are aware of is only 3 inches long. A security guard or bouncer at a club will be looking for something that’s intimidating so a stun baton that is 15 inches or longer will fit the bill.
- For some, the features of a stun gun are an important consideration. A lot of stun devices have built-in flashlights. All of them have at least one built-in safety feature. The disable pin wrist strap is very popular with women. When worn properly around your wrist, the firing pin is disengaged if the stun gun is taken away from you in a confrontation. This makes the stun device unusable.
- Many stun guns come with a carrying case that can clip onto your belt. It almost looks like a mobile device.
- And finally, to many people a disguised stun gun is an important consideration. This gives the user the element of surprise in an attack. Some stun devices are disguised as cell phones, iPhones, flashlights and lipstick tubes.
You may be wondering why we haven’t mentioned price. In our opinion, the price of the stun gun or the cost to you should not factor into your buying decision. We are talking about a product that may be relied upon to protect your life or the life of a loved one. When it comes to that important job, price should not be a consideration.
Have you ever used a stun gun? Feedback on these posts is appreciated. Please share your experience. We want to hear your thoughts.