Tips on How to Use a Stun Gun Properly and Safely
Stun guns are the second most popular self-defense product in the world today right behind pepper sprays. Just about every police officer in the country carries some kind of stun device. Most law enforcement officers carry a taser, which is the form of the stun device, but it works differently. Tasers use low voltage and high wattage to disable an assailant. Stun guns are high voltage and low-wattage.
Today we’re talking about how to use stun guns safely and properly: stun gun tips.
I’ve always maintained that knowing how something works and understanding its capabilities gives you more confidence in using it. And when it comes to defending yourself having confidence is extremely important.
A stun weapon is a small device that will fit into your hand very easily with two or more prongs on one end that conducts an electrical charge that is powered by batteries. Once activated, the stun device creates electrical arcs that flash between the probes on the end. The flashing arcs make an intimidating noise. So between the sight and sounds of the arcs, some assailants are scared away by that. That’s okay. Whatever works!
Once applied to an assailant the electrical charge makes the body work very hard very rapidly. This rapid work cycle depletes all the bodies’ blood sugars that are needed for energy so he has no energy left. The effects are not long-lasting. You can disable an assailant for up to 10 minutes giving you time to get away from a dangerous situation. They are great for female self-defense.
Here are some tips on how to use a stun gun properly and safely.
1. Make sure that stun devices are legal where you live. They are illegal in several states and cities, so check with your law enforcement office first.
2. Study the brochure that came with the stun gun. Read the directions carefully.
3. Remember that the stun device is a weapon and misuse can be grounds for criminal charges.
4. Every stun device has a safety switch to prevent accidental discharge. Practice getting used to switching it on off.
5. Every stun device also has an on/off switch. Know where it is and practice using it.
6. The very first time that you fire a Stun Device you’ll hear the loud noise and see the flashing arcs on the end. Make sure that you are used to hearing and seeing those sounds. If not, when the time comes for you to use it that sound may scare the heck out you.
7. A stun device must be applied to an assailants’ body. There are six optimal points on the body. The most sensitive nerve centers are upper hips, upper shoulders and below the rib cage.
8. A 3 to 5 second application will disable an assailant for up to 10 minutes.
9. Check your batteries frequently to make sure that they are fully charged.
Follow these tips to get the most out of your stun gun. A self-defense item like a stun device is great for female self-defense. Who knows it may be in a position to save your life one day.
Learn more about all of our Stun Guns so you can pick the right one.
The Home Security Superstore is one of the oldest and largest independent distributors of high quality home security, surveillance, spy, self-defense, survival and safety products. We carry a wide range of self-defense products including tasers, stun guns, pepper sprays and other non-lethal weapons that can save your life in the event of an attack.