- NOTE: This insert weighs 1.43 lbs and is 16" tall, 12" wide, and .45" deep, please make sure to measure the bag you're going to place this item in so that you can ensure it fits. We strongly suggest you create a cardboard template of the dimensions of this insert and confirm it will fit the backpack it is intended for. We offer sizes that will accommodate all! It is also a good idea to approximate the added weight to ensure the person it is intended for can manage it.
- Designed to fit the backpacks of high schoolers and college students
- Lightweight Twaron allows for protection without extra weight
- Made of 24 layers of Twaron for tempered protection
- Allows protection against stabbing/piercing objects
- Level 3A Lab Tested
- UV Resistant Nylon Covering
- Easy to clean and store
- Dimensions: 12" x 0.45" x 16"
- Weighs: 1.43 lbs.
- NOTE: Does NOT include a backpack. Purchase ONLY includes the bulletproof insert.
Designed to be lightweight and incredibly portable this ballistic plate stops both sharp object sand a variety of calibers of handguns. Specially designed to fit into school backpacks and sling packs measuring 12"x16". This insert provides ballistic protection from handgun fire and can stop multiple rounds. Manufactured using 24 layers of Twaron, a high performance to weight ratio material similar to Kevlar, this insert is extremely light while meeting Level 3A standards. The ballistic shields when inserted into backpacks, briefcases or computer bags will provide the highest level of protection currently available as lightweight concealable body armor.
The Ballistic Protection Levels are as follows:
Level 1: (High) Protects from 9 mm, .38 cal, .380 cal or .22 cal bullets. This is a good entry level for if you're concerned about safety and want a baseline of protection, however level 1 will not stop higher caliber rounds so if those are a concern for you this might not be what you need.
Level 2A: (Higher) Protects from 9 mm, .38 cal, .380 cal or .22 cal bullets but offers up a little extra protection against .40 S&W rounds. Still, a low-level protection but is passable for whatever needs you have if you're not very concerned.
Level 2: (Higher) Protects from 9 mm, .38 cal, .380 cal or .22 cal bullets, .40 S&W and with the additional power to stop a .357 magnum round. This is where things start to go from casual protection to serious stopping power.
Level 3A: (Highest) Protects from 9 mm, .38 cal, .380 cal or .22 cal bullets, .40 S&W, .357 magnum, and the high powered .44 magnum used famously in the movie Dirty Harry. High-level protection from most handguns.
Level 3: (Highest) Protects from 9 mm, .38 cal, .380 cal or .22 cal bullets, .40 S&W, .357 magnum, .44 magnum, .223 hollow point, 7.62 NATO and lastly 5.56 JHP. This is real protection, 5.56 and .223 are the most common rounds for the AR platform rifles with the 7.62 NATO being the most common round for the AK-47.
- waist straps
- Tuffy Packs
The insert fits into my Chrome Urban Ex Rolltop 28L Backpack, but is just a bit too wide to fit into the laptop sleeve. It still stays in place well, especially when I roll the backpack top down snug. I'd also like to shout out customer service at The Home Security Superstore for going above and beyond to help me out when I had an issue with my order.
After some seeing some reviews on youtube and various websites. I opted for the Tuffy Packs Level 3A Soft Armor insert. I purchased a 12" x 16" (myself) 11" x 14" (wife). I have a Sandpiper of California Bugout Backpack. The Tuffy 12" x 16" fits perfectly in the pocket where you would store the waist straps, not to mention that it stays in place and is closest to your body. My wife is attending college and she carries an Addidas backpack, not sure the size, but the 11" x 14" fits in hers with no issues. I did try the 12" x 16" and it did fit also with more protection, however she is small so the 11" x 14" will remain in her bag and will suffice for her. These Tuffy Inserts are surprisingly light, soft, and workable to get it into some snug places. I am giving 5 starts for the fit, comfort, weight, and piece of mind. I just hope that we will never have to use it.