Improve Your Home Security in Five Easy Steps
Homeowners across the country share at least one thing in common; they are concerned about their home’s security. And why wouldn’t they be? It is their domicile-the place where their family lives. A man’s home is his ‘Castle’ so to speak. As such, they will do anything to protect it, especially since it represents the biggest single investment that most families have.
Burglars, on the other hand, see homes as a way to make an easy living. Most burglaries happen through unsecured doors and windows. That is how easy it is to get into a house so burglars can steal an average of $1700 worth of goods in a very short period of time. The time a burglar spends in the home is usually 10 minutes or less.
Here are five easy proven ways to help improve your home security and protect it against burglary and home invasion. If you follow these steps, you will at least be on the right track. Most of these are inexpensive or free.
1. The very first thing that you want to do to improve your home security is to put out what we call is the ‘unwelcome mat’. The trick here is to make your home look unattractive as a target for a burglar. And we don’t mean trashing the outside of your house. Put as many obstacles in the way of the burglar as you possibly can. Don’t make it easy for him. Start or join a neighborhood watch program. They are highly successful. Remove potential hiding places near your home so the burglar can’t get close without being detected.
2. Then consider putting up some signs that warn of a vicious guard dog or home security system in place. Burglars look for things like that. They don’t like dogs and they don’t want to get caught on camera or any other way. Signage is a good way to give potential burglars pause before they target your home for burglary.
3. Some other obstacles that you might put up to deter home burglary are fake security cameras. Nowadays they are so realistic looking that no one can tell the difference between the fake security cameras and the real thing.
4. One of the most effective obstacles to a home burglar is to put in some alarms. Window and door alarms are excellent ways to deter a burglar once he breaks into your house. Most burglars are first or second-time offenders, so they may not even be used to hearing a burglar alarm. Window and door alarms are cheap and very effective. One of the most effective home security alarms is the barking dog alarm. Once properly installed, it protects an area up to 20 feet away. If that area is violated, the sound of an angry barking dog starts.
5. And finally, once a burglar does get into your house he spends no more than 10 minutes looking for things of value that he can get rid of in a pawn shop. If you can protect jewelry, cash, credit cards, and handguns for even 10 to 15 minutes by hiding them in a diversion safe or placing them in a home security safe you are going to be way ahead of the game because the bad guys will leave empty-handed.
Fake security cameras, diversion safes, warning signs, motion activated alarms and the neighborhood watch program are all steps to improving your home’s security.
We have 27 Motion Activated Alarms to choose from. Anyone of them will help improve your home security.
We offer a choice of 36 Fake Security Cameras to improve your home security. Anyone of them will help improve your home security.
Our BLOG is updated daily and is a wealth of information covering tips and info you can use with over 500 posts. Check it out to see what you might be missing.
The Home Security Superstore is one of the oldest and largest independent distributors of high quality home security, surveillance, spy, self-defense, survival and safety products.