General Home Security Tips-Safety Tip Of The Week
Every week we give you some safety tips. We missed on Friday so here, as a bonus, are our safety tips on Saturday.
When it comes to providing general home safety and security ideas law enforcement officials are still the best source of information. Here are some tips that they provide for homeowners for their home security and safety.
1. If you plan to be gone for a long period of time, create an illusion that someone is still there. Leave the TV or stereo on so the noise can be heard or the images cast shadows that can be seen throughout the room. Motion activated spotlights are a good home security tool. A Programmable Light Timer can turn lights on and off at random times creating the same illusion.
2. Make sure all exterior doors have dead bolt locks.
3. When you get an unexpected knock at your door check to see who’s there by using your peephole first before opening it.
4. Don’t leave extra keys under doormats, potted plants or other obvious locations. Burglars are on to that old trick
5. Burglar proof your glass patio doors by putting a metal or wooden bar in the middle bottom track so they can’t be opened.
6. Keep your garage door shut and locked.
7. Keep drapes and blinds shut especially in rooms where there is expensive gear
8. Keep your valuables hidden away in a safe like the locking Book Safe.
9. Don’t leave notes for service people.
10. If you are going to be gone for a few days, adjust ring tone on your file to its lowest volume. An unanswered phone can tip off a burglar that no one’s there.
11. Have a friend or neighbor get your newspaper and mail. Don’t cancel the subscriptions because you never know who can get that information.
Feedback on these posts is encouraged. Have you ever used any of these tips? Please share your experience. We want to hear your thoughts.
The Home Security Superstore is one of the oldest and largest independent distributors of high quality home security, surveillance, spy, self-defense, survival and safety products. We carry a wide range of self-defense products including tasers, stun guns, pepper sprays and other nonlethal weapons that can save your life in the event of an attack.